The old „farmhouse“ at Thingvellir (Þingvallabær) was built in 1929-1930 in accordance with drawings made be the Icelandic architect Guðjón Samúelsson. With his drawings he tried to recreate the atmosphere and the beauty of the old Icelandic turf farmhouses with a new building material concrete. Originally the farmhouse had 3 gables with turf on them. But the roofs turned out to be too steep for the turf to stay put, so they soon changed it and put copper on the roofs. In 1970 it was decided to add two more gables to the farmhouse and that was finished in 1974. Originally the farmhouse was build as a place for the minister of the church at Thingvellir. But since 1974 a summer house for the prime minister and also a place where he can great and entertain guests. In one of the gables there are offices for the Thingvellir Commission, and for the director of the national park and also for the minister of the church.
The church at Thingvellir was built in 1859 and was inaugurated on Christmas day that year. In 1907 in preparing for the visit of the king of Danmark (who was also the king of Iceland in that time) the tower was changed. In the tower there are three bells, one old one (not known how old it is), one given to the church of Jón Vidalín bishop in 1698 and the third one is the Iceland bell from 1944.