Teigarhorn has great attraction for people with an interest in rocks and minerals, and there are also several historical relics there. The property was a tenant farm. It was considered quite poor land and sugared a great deal from blowing sand in the 19th century. In the year 1869, Niels Weywadt, the manager of the general store in Djúpivogur bought Teirgarhorn and began farming there. In 1880-81, he had a fine house built on the farm, which still stands and is maintained by the National Museum. The ruins of a summer outpost or SEL can be seen in Búlandsdalur. Búlandstindur (1069m) one of the most beautifully shaped mountains in Iceland, towers over the site. The same family has lived in Teigarhorn for an entire century.
There has been regular weather observation at the farm Teigarhorn since 1881, and before that in the village of Djúpivogur where it commenced in 1872. The average temperature at Teigarhorn from 1861-1990 was 3.7C, in July being 8.8C and in January 0.3C. Average precipitation during the same period amounted to 1230mm, coming primarily from a south-easterly direction. There is often fog at Teigarhorn, as there is on many of the headlands of East Iceland, where there are about 60 days of fog a year. Teigarhorn holds the high-temperature record for Iceland, with a reading of 30.5C on 22 June 1939.