Glymur is the second-highest waterfall in Iceland, with a cascade of 198 m. It was long regarded as the tallest until being surpassed by Morsárfoss, a newly measured waterfall near Morsárjökull in 2011.
It is situated at the rear end of the Hvalfjörður. Since the opening of the Hvalfjörður Tunnel under this fjord, visitor numbers have dropped.
The river Botnsá runs from the Hvalvatn lake and after a short distance the water falls down alongside the Hvalfell mountain into a steep canyon. The waterfall can be accessed from a parking area at the end of the road. Hikers can view the waterfall from marked paths on the east side of the river Botnsá.
Ingjaldssandur is located between Dýrafjörður and Önundarfjörður fjords. To reach this secluded valley one has to drive high up between the mountains Skagafjall and Þverfell and down the small winding gravel road at Háls.
Ingjaldssandur was once home to more than 100 people and at that time all Icelanders used to live in a turf house, rich and poor, and it wasn't until the mid-20th century that the last inhabitants moved out of the turf houses.
Ingjaldssandur... this remote place was only accessible in winter time by boat and later by plane. The valley has mountains on 3 sides and the open sea - it was very secluded back then - and still is in the winter time.
Now only one farmer is left in Ingjaldssandur, Elísabet Pétursdóttir or Bettý, is her name. She knits and sells woolen goods, like sweaters and socks, which she knits during the long, dark winters - so if you want to buy an authentic piece of Icelandic woolen goods then they don't get any more authentic than at Ingjaldssandur.
At Sæból in Ingjaldssandur, almost right by the sea, you will notice a lovely white church, Sæbólskirkja church, consecrated in 1929. In 1924 or 1925, which swept the older church away and broke it to pieces. That big storm was called Halaveðrið. The noted architect Guðjón Samúelsson designed the new concrete church and the noted sculptor Guðmundur Einarsson from Miðdalur created the font. An old copper chandelier from 1649 can be found in the church - which is very old for Iceland. Many foreign names are engraved in the chandelier - it is believed to have been a donation from a ship-crew, which got saved from danger at sea by Ingjaldssandur. There are many such stories in Iceland, of foreign ships being saved - or lost at sea - by Iceland. Jón Sveinn Jónsson, the farmer at Sæból, carved the pews and altar rails. The cross of light is dedicated to Rev. Sigtryggur Guðlaugsson (1862-1959) from Núpur, who is believed to have made 900 trips over Sandsheiði he
The historical village of Djúpavík dates back to 1917, when a herring factory was established in this small creek by the fjord Reykjarfjörður. The first attempt was short lived but in 1934 a new factory was erected, the largest concrete house in Iceland at the time. The factory operated until 1954, but today it serves as an exhibition building. The houses in Djúpavík are only used as summer dwellings today, except for the hotel, Hótel Djúpavík, which is open all year.
Prior to 1917, the area around Djúpavík hosted farmsteads for hundreds of years. Around 1916 only one family lived there.
The village of Djúpavík was first settled in 1917 when Elías Stefánsson built a herring salting factory there. Guðjón Jónsson moved to Djúpavík in 1917 with his wife Krístín Guðmundsdóttirthe and three children to serve as the factory's supervisor. They were the village's first residents. That year brought many challenges to the herring industry in Iceland. There were shortages of fuel oil and salt, and the import price of coal and other supplies rose sharply. Both cod and herring catches were small. In the following year, the Armistice of 11 November 1918 led to reduced demand for exports from Iceland. The enterprise went bankrupt in 1919. Although the business was briefly taken over by others, the site was abandoned during the 1920s. Guðjón stayed on at the factory until 1921.
1934 saw the resettlement of Djúpavík with the foundation of Djúpavík Ltd. in September of that year. A new factory was built (at the time of its construction it was the biggest concrete building in Iceland and one of the biggest in Europe) and, despite the harsh conditions, the construction was completed within the span of just one year and the factory was operational by July 1935. Herring catches started to decline after 1944, with a sharp drop in 1948 (when there were almost no catches for two years) and, despite attempts to keep the enterprise running by processing other fi
Höfði is a house in northern Reykjavík, the capital city of Iceland, built in 1909. Höfði is located at Félagstún. Initially, it was built for the French consul Jean-Paul Brillouin in Iceland and was the exclusive residence of poet and businessman Einar Benediktsson (1864-1940) for many years. It is best known as the location for the 1986 Reykjavík Summit meeting of presidents Ronald Reagan of the United States and Mikhail Gorbachev of the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics. That effectively was a step to the end of the Cold War. Within the building, the flags of the United States and the Soviet Union are cross-hung to commemorate the meeting.
In the 1940s and 1950s, it was home to the British Embassy in Reykjavík. The city of Reykjavík purchased the house in 1958, restored it to its former glory. From then on it has been used for formal receptions and festive occasions.
On 25 September 2009, on the building's 100th birthday, Höfði was damaged in a fire. All irreplaceable artifacts were saved.
Whaling in Iceland began with spear-drift whaling which was practiced from as early as the 12th century and continued in a relic form until the late 19th century. The relationship with whales is reflected in the Icelandic language: hvalreki is the word for "beached whale", while also meaning something good that is unexpectedly yours or at your disposal. However, modern commercial whaling was introduced to Iceland by companies from other nations in the late 19th century. Today, Iceland is involved in commercial whaling under objection to an ongoing moratorium established by the International Whaling Commission in 1986
The river Botnsá runs from the Hvalvatn lake and after a short distance the water falls down alongside the Hvalfell mountain into a steep canyon. The waterfall Glymur can be accessed from a parking area at the end of the road. Hikers can view the waterfall from marked paths on the east side of the river Botnsá.
The canyon Sigöldugil used to be filled by the river Tungnaá. Most of the water from the lake Krókslón is now forced into conducts to the power plant. But the canyon is still there for our pleasure and the overflow of Krókslón lake.
I have heard three names on thease waterfalls, Fögrufossar, Hrauneyjafossar and Lekafossar. Which one is right I'm not shure of. Perhaps they are all right
Reykjavík is the capital and largest city of Iceland. It has a latitude of 64°08' N, making it the world's northernmost capital of a sovereign state, and is a popular tourist destination. It is located in southwestern Iceland, on the southern shore of Faxa Bay. With a population of around 123 300 (and over 216 940 in the Capital Region), it is the heart of Iceland's cultural, economic and governmental activity.
Reykjavík is believed to be the location of the first permanent settlement in Iceland, which, according to Ingólfur Arnarson, was established in AD 874. Until the 19th century, there was no urban development in the city location. The city was founded in 1786 as an official trading town and grew steadily over the next decades, as it transformed into a regional and later national centre of commerce, population, and governmental activities. It is among the cleanest, greenest, and safest cities in the world